Friday 5 December 2008

I know I'm only 28, and some people might laugh, but I get nostalgic for the good old days. When these supposed good old days were I'm not exactly sure because the thing about looking back on the past is you only remember what you want to. You can call it selective memory or rose-tinted glasses but it amounts to the same: everything seemed to be better "back then".
It's silly the things you get sentimental over. I was reminiscing to someone the other day about cartoons and kids programmes: He-man, She-Ra, Around the World in 80 Days. I still get vivid flashes of coming home from school, climbing on a chair to reach the shelf the biscuits were on, and then settling down on our old brown sofa to watch Mysterious Cities of Gold or Knightmare
I sometimes wish that I could time travel so that I could see if my memories are real. Because that's the funny thing. They may not be. At university in a psychology seminar the lecturer asked us to remember something, an event or incident which had happened to us. We had to close our eyes and think back, bring up an image. He asked us to describe what we saw. Probably 70% in the class described the scene with themselves in it - they were seeing themselves. So how can that be a true memory the lecturer said?

No comments: